I Didn't Become Cold. I Became Careful.
I don’t think I’m angry.
I think I’m tired.
Tired of explaining why safety matters.
Tired of asking for basic respect like it’s a favor.
Tired of being told I’m “too much” the moment I stop being convenient.
I wanted love, light, and peace.
Nobody told me peace comes with a fence.
And apparently, people get very uncomfortable when you start building one.
For most of my life I thought being a loving person meant being endlessly available.
Endlessly understanding.
Endlessly patient.
I thought softness meant letting people step wherever they wanted as long as they said they didn’t mean harm.
But I live closer to the land now.
And the land doesn’t work like that.
You don’t let trucks drive through your garden and call it kindness.
You don’t leave doors open and call it trust.
You don’t ignore erosion and call it peace.
You protect what’s alive.
Lately I feel like every boundary I set makes someone upset.
Like the moment I say
no, that doesn’t feel safe
or
no, that isn’t okay with me
or
no, I need something different than this
the air changes.
Suddenly I’m difficult.
Suddenly I’m dramatic.
Suddenly I’m the problem.
But I’m not the problem.
I’m just not abandoning myself anymore.
And there is a strange grief in that.
Because I still want to be the warm version of me.
The easy version.
The one who gives and gives and gives without hesitation.
I still want to believe love should feel simple.
Instead, it feels like the world is testing every ounce of good I have left in my heart just to see if I’ll still keep offering it.
I will.
But not the same way.
Not without care.
Not without reciprocity.
Not without safety.
There’s a difference between becoming cold and becoming careful.
Cold shuts people out.
Careful pays attention to who is allowed in.
And I’m learning that protecting your peace doesn’t make you less loving.
It makes your love real.
It makes it rooted.
It makes it intentional.
It makes it strong enough to survive.
So if I seem quieter lately,
or slower to say yes,
or harder to reach the center of,
it isn’t because I stopped caring.
It’s because I finally started caring about myself too.
I still want love.
I still believe in light.
I still believe peace is possible.
But now I understand something I didn’t before:
peace isn’t something you wait for.
It’s something you build.
