The Pattern That Rebuilt Me
I didn’t choose structure because I’m organized.
I chose structure because my brain stopped tolerating chaos.
After my injury, nothing looked different from the outside.
But internally? Noise felt sharper. Emotion felt heavier. Disorder felt dangerous.
What used to energize me started overwhelming me.
So I started building systems with my hands.
Not spreadsheets.
Not rules.
Patterns.
My rosaries aren’t traditional.
They're deliberate.
Five chips.
One round stone.
Five chips.
One round stone.
Five chips.
Three contained sections.
Two anchors.
The chips are imperfect. Uneven. Organic.
Like soil before it’s amended.
Like memory after trauma.
Like a nervous system learning how to regulate again.
The round stones are smooth. Weighted. Predictable.
They interrupt the spiral.
Five.
Pause.
Five.
Reset.
Five.
Complete.
When my thoughts scatter, the pattern does not.
When my nervous system spikes, my fingers know what comes next.
That predictability is not aesthetic.
It’s biological.
Permaculture taught me the same lesson.
At Oregon State, studying design and soil systems, I learned that ecosystems don’t eliminate chaos — they channel it.
Water doesn’t disappear.
It’s directed.
Roots don’t fight erosion.
They anchor against it.
Diversity doesn’t create disorder.
It creates resilience.
After my brain injury, I couldn’t remove overwhelm from my life.
So I designed containment around it.
Just like swales guide water.
Just like tree guilds stabilize soil.
Just like structured planting prevents collapse.
Five chips.
Anchor.
Five chips.
Anchor.
Five chips.
Structure as medicine.
Before sobriety, my nervous system ran on intensity.
After sobriety, I had to learn regulation.
The pattern helped.
Three sections.
Two anchors.
Before the accident.
After the accident.
Who I am building now.
Sobriety.
Structure.
Land.
Body.
Permaculture isn’t just about designing property.
It’s about designing stability.
And this is mine.
I don’t make rosaries to be pretty.
I make them because rhythm rewires.
I make them because repetition soothes.
I make them because when everything inside feels like too much —
Five.
Pause.
Five.
Reset.
Five.
Complete.
Still holds.
