I Stopped Explaining Myself
I stopped explaining myself when I realized
they weren’t trying to understand,
they were trying to negotiate.
I used to speak more.
Explain more.
Offer context like a peace treaty;
as if clarity could save me from being misunderstood on purpose.
They weren't confused.
They were negotiating.
I thought if I said it the right way,
slow enough, soft enough,
they'd stop twisting it.
They didn't.
Now I speak less and watch who argues with the quiet.
Because when someone asks,
“Do you have a sponsor?”
what they’re really saying is:
I don’t trust your autonomy.
It's just a socially acceptable way to ask a grown woman if she has permission to take up space in her own life.
I wasn’t explaining to be heard.
I was explaining to earn the right to exist.
I was asking for permission for things that were already mine.
And that’s when it clicked.
Explanations are a trauma response.
And not everyone deserves one.
Silence used to mean danger.
Now I use it as discernment.
I watch who fills the gap with control.
Who rushes to correct me.
Who needs my story simplified so they can stay comfortable.
Especially when you don’t deserve a single syllable of my voice.
♡
I stopped explaining when I got sober.
Because sobriety doesn’t negotiate.
It doesn’t bargain.
It doesn’t soften its edges so you can feel at ease around it.
It doesn’t ask to be believed.
It just is.
There is a difference between being negotiated with and being respected.
And once you feel that difference in your body-
not intellectually, but in your nervous system,
you never unlearn it.
Harsh?
No.
Accurate.
✨
I gave my reasons back.
You don’t owe footnotes for your no.
No doesn’t require a paragraph.
My boundaries don’t need a bibliography.
If someone only honors your limits after you justify them…
they were never honoring you.
…
I may not exist anywhere but this blog.
But today, I feel heard.
I’m learning there’s more than one way to be witnessed.
Sometimes it’s in the way nature rewards me;
New growth on plants I saved from dying in shipping.
New sprouts from rare seeds I never thought had a chance.
Actual sprouts.
Proof of life.
Evidence that care compounds quietly.
Sometimes it’s in the softer moments
I come back to myself-
without an audience.
The same way you do.
One day at a time.
Trying.
Don’t drink.
Don’t die.
Jus(t).
Fo(r).
Toda(y).
♡ xoxo

