Days of Stability

Days of Stability Tracker

This simple tracker is for readers who want to mark time spent choosing stability — whether that means recovery, boundaries, rest, or consistency.

This tool is for reflection and encouragement only. It is not medical or therapeutic advice.

Today In Nature

Today in Nature

Permaculture Is Recovery



The Apple Core

This doesn’t feel like school.

It feels like remembering.

I stay up until two in the morning reading about water, wind, soil, systems. I wake up early because my body wants to keep going. Not because I’m anxious. Not because I’m running. Because I’m pulled.


This work feels like home.

And that’s how I know it’s real.


I didn’t get sober by trying harder.

I didn’t recover by white knuckling my way through shame, punishment, or rigid rules that never fit my body in the first place. I didn’t survive because I learned discipline.

I survived because I changed the conditions.

That’s permaculture.


Recovery was never a moral problem.

It was a design problem.


Permaculture teaches that you don’t fix broken systems by forcing outcomes. You observe. You listen. You identify the pressure points. You design for resilience. You change the environment so life can do what it already wants to do.

Recovery asked the same thing of me.


Alcohol wasn’t the root. Trauma wasn’t the root. Chaos wasn’t the root.

The root was a life that wasn’t designed for me to survive inside it.


So I stopped asking, “What’s wrong with me?”

And started asking, “What does this system require to stay alive?”


That question saved my life.


At the core of permaculture is the apple.

Not the shiny outside.

Not the leaves.

Not the aesthetics.

The core.


Care for the earth.

Care for people.

Return the surplus.

Strip away the language and it says this:

If you don’t care for the body, everything rots.

If you don’t care for people, isolation grows weeds.

If you hoard pain instead of composting it, nothing new can grow.


Recovery has the same apple core.

Care for the nervous system.

Care for the human.

Return what no longer serves as nourishment.


I didn’t remove addiction.

I composted the conditions that required it.


The circle came first.

Before theory.

Before textbooks.

Before permission.

I built a circle because my body needed one.


Circles don’t trap you. They hold you.

They don’t demand straight lines. They honor return.

They don’t punish collapse. They expect seasons.


Recovery isn’t linear.

Nature isn’t linear.

Healing isn’t linear.


As above, so below.


What heals the land heals the body.

What regulates water regulates emotion.

What filters wind filters chaos.

What builds resilience in soil builds resilience in sobriety.


I didn’t need edges that cut me.

I needed boundaries that contained me.


So I designed them.


Permaculture taught me how to design for low-energy days.

That sentence alone would have changed my entire recovery if I’d heard it sooner.


Design for the days you’re tired.

Design for the days you’re grieving.

Design for the days you can’t perform strength.


That’s not weakness.

That’s intelligence.

Self-maintaining systems are not lazy.

They’re compassionate.


I stopped building a life that only worked when I was perfect.

I built one that still functioned when I was human.


I was told recovery had to look a certain way.

Straight lines.

Hierarchies.

Punishment dressed up as discipline.


But nature doesn’t heal in straight lines.

And neither do people.


The land doesn’t shame a plant for growing where it can survive.

It adapts. It shifts. It creates microclimates.


So did I.


I didn’t quit drinking.

I designed a life that didn’t need escape.

I designed water where there was drought.

I filtered wind where there was constant assault.

I built systems that wanted me alive.


Permaculture didn’t teach me how to garden.

It taught me how to stay.


And recovery didn’t save my life.

Design did.


I am not fragile.

I am not broken.

I am a steward now.


Of land.

Of body.

Of story.


And this circle - this work, this purpose, this remembering...

is not school.


It’s home.

Popular Posts

The Wheel of the Year