I Got Sober Out Loud, Without a Sponsor, and I'm Not Sorry
Let me say this clearly, loudly, and with my boots planted in the dirt:
I didn't get sober by accident.
I didn't get sober quietly.
And I did not get sober because someone else did the work for me.
I got sober because I decided to live, and then I kept deciding it.
Loudly, imperfectly, and sometimes feral as hell.
Recovery that requires your silence is not recovery. It's obedience.
If that makes you uncomfortable, you might want to step back from the fire. 🔥
⸻
Apparently, Pride Is the New Sin in Recovery Spaces
Recently, I was told indirectly but pointedly, that people who take credit for their recovery are bragging.
That saying “I did this” is ego.
That owning your sobriety is somehow spiritually incorrect.
That if you didn’t follow a specific script, with a specific structure, and a specific hierarchy of help, then you should probably be quieter about it.
Respectfully?
Absolutely the fuck not.
That mindset doesn’t humble people.
It erases them.
And erasure is not healing - it’s how people disappear.
⸻
I Am a Woods Goblin Who Fixed Her Own Shit
Let’s get something straight:
I am not anti-community.
I am not anti-support.
I am not anti-anything that keeps people alive.
But I am anti-the idea that you have to shrink your story to make others feel spiritually superior.
I didn’t need a sponsor.
That does not mean sponsors are bad.
It means I didn’t need one.
Some people need sponsors.
Some people need meetings.
Some people need therapy.
Some people need ritual, nature, shadow work, or to scream into the woods like a raccoon possessed by divine rage.
Recovery is not one-size-fits-all.
And pretending it is? That’s how people die.
I healed the way feral things heal:
• messy
• honest
• loud
• and deeply self responsible
I looked at my life and said, “This ends with me.”
And then I did something about it.
⸻
Recovering Out Loud Is Not Bragging. It’s a Lifeline
You know who needs to hear recovery stories?
Newcomers.
People hanging on by a thread.
People scrolling at 3am wondering if it’s even worth trying.
They don’t need whispers.
They don’t need shame.
They don’t need to be told they’re powerless forever.
They need to hear:
“I did this and you can too.”
Silencing people who are proud of their recovery doesn’t protect humility.
It protects helplessness.
And helplessness kills.
When we act like recovery only “counts” if it follows a certain hierarchy, we teach people:
• Don’t trust yourself
• Don’t celebrate progress
• Don’t speak unless you’re approved
That’s not healing.
That’s control dressed up as spirituality.
⸻
Humility Is Not Pretending You Had No Agency
Let me be crystal clear:
I can be grateful and proud.
I can honor support and own my work.
I can respect other paths without erasing my own.
I am sober because I chose sobriety.
I stayed sober because I did the work.
I am alive because I didn’t give up on myself.
That does not invalidate your recovery.
It does not insult your program.
It does not mean I think I’m better than anyone else.
It just means I’m honest.
⸻
Spiritual Bypassing Is Still Bypassing
In spiritual and witchy recovery spaces especially, there’s this obsession with ego death.
Kill the ego.
Dissolve the self.
Disappear quietly and call it enlightenment.
But here’s the thing no one wants to admit:
A lot of people don’t need their ego killed.
They need their sense of self returned.
Especially women.
Especially trauma survivors.
Especially people who spent their whole lives being told to be smaller.
You are not required to vanish to be spiritual.
You are not required to minimize your survival.
You are not required to deny your strength to be “humble enough.”
Your resilience is sacred.
Your voice is medicine.
Your story matters.
⸻
To the People Who Haven’t Accepted Their Recovery Yet
This part might sting and I say it without cruelty, but without apology:
If someone else owning their recovery makes you angry, uncomfortable, or judgmental…
that’s not about them.
That’s about where you are with yours.
And I genuinely wish you the healing you deserve.
The peace you deserve.
The day you can say “I did this” without flinching.
I hope you get there.
Truly.
But I’m not shrinking until you do.
⸻
To the Newcomer Reading This
Listen to me, woods goblin to trembling heart:
You are allowed to want your life back.
You are allowed to believe in yourself.
You are allowed to recover loudly, imperfectly, and in your own way.
You don’t have to disappear to heal.
You don’t have to earn silence.
You don’t have to follow a script that doesn’t fit your nervous system.
Recovery is not about becoming smaller.
It’s about coming home.
And yes, one day, you will get to say:
“I did this.”
Because you will have.

