Age in Growth
The first thing recovery gave me was a room.
Not a cure. Not peace. A room.
Four walls where I could sit without destroying myself. A chair I returned to like a life raft. Language that told my body it wasn’t dying anymore.
Alcohol wasn’t the problem.
It was the only solution my nervous system knew.
That’s the part people skip.
They want the clean arc: bad thing → stop bad thing → good life.
But my body learned alcohol as a language. It learned it as regulation. As relief. As survival.
So when I stopped drinking, I didn’t suddenly become healed.
I became unsheltered.
Recovery gave me rooms.
At first, I needed them like a nursery needs walls.
Warmth. Structure. Predictability.
The same chairs. The same stories. The same phrases said in the same order so my body could unclench.
Fear needs repetition.
Safety does too.
So yes, I clung.
And for a while, clinging was correct.
But something uncomfortable happens when time passes and you don’t.
We don’t talk about that part much.
Some rooms start to feel… small.
Not because they’re bad.
Not because they failed you.
But because you grew edges.
I started to notice how some spaces stayed frozen, like sobriety preserved in amber.
Same wounds. Same language. Same identity: still becoming, always becoming, never arrived.
And I had to ask the question nobody likes:
Are we recovering…
or are we dependent?
Sobriety counts days.
Growth measures capacity.
At some point the work stops being “don’t drink.”
It becomes:
Can you live?
Can you tolerate silence without narrating it?
Can you sit with joy without confessing it away?
Can you build something that doesn’t require a meeting to hold you upright?
That question makes people nervous.
Because it sounds like leaving.
Here’s the truth I keep circling:
The Big Book doesn’t end because you stop needing help.
It ends because you’re expected to grow.
The final step isn’t attendance.
It’s integration.
You’re meant to become whole.
You’re meant to become useful.
You’re meant to walk back into the world carrying what you learned, not dragging the room with you like an IV drip.
Recovery isn’t a cult...but some rooms forget they’re a bridge.
They mistake safety for permanence.
And staying, eventually, becomes hiding.
I don’t want to leave recovery.
I want to outgrow needing it to hold me upright.
That’s different.
I want it inside my bones, not wrapped around my throat.
I want the tools in my hands, not a permission slip to exist.
Growth asks us to leave the nursery.
Not because we were wrong to be there,
but because we were right.
Because it worked.
And now something else is calling.

