I Traded Bottles For Seed Packets, and It Saved My Life
PART I — The Past & The Soil
I didn’t earn my first year of sobriety with pretty mornings and green juice and inspirational quotes. It began in a way I still don’t like saying out loud. I woke up covered head-to-toe in bruises, alone, and with nothing but blank space where my memory should have been. Not a movie-style breaking point, not a dramatic confrontation — just the crushing quiet of realizing nobody was there and I didn’t even know what I had done to get that way. That was the day I learned there is a kind of rock bottom that doesn’t scream — it just stares.
Recovery did not start with clarity; it started with nausea and shame and a body that felt foreign. It started with not trusting myself to stay conscious through the night. It started with stepping into therapy because my brain felt like a burned-down structure and I didn’t know what was safe to build on. That was year one: no applause, no enlightenment — just not dying, not drinking, not destroying.
What I didn’t expect was that nature would become my second therapist.
It started quietly — before I had language for what I was doing. I began to build what I now call my sobriety garden. I didn’t plan it with symbolism at first; I just wanted somewhere my nervous system could go that wasn’t a bottle or a bed or a meltdown. But plants don’t let you stay surface-level. If you engage with nature honestly, it drags you down into the truth with it.
When I placed the first yarrow plant near the fruit trees this past weekend, I noticed something I never could have seen that first day of sobriety — I was planning for a future self. Yarrow doesn’t reward impulsive people; it's for those who assume they will still be here next season. That realization hit harder than any therapy session: I must believe, on some level, that I actually live to see next spring.
Today I stood in the same body that once woke up destroyed and dissociated, except now I was holding a bag of crimson clover seed — intentionally planning to plant a crop cover to feed the soil that will feed the trees, berries, and corn that will feed me. There's a particular emotional violence in realizing that the same hands that once delivered self-harm are now prepping land for fruit.
Gardens don’t let you stay who you were.
Permaculture teaches “observe before you intervene.” That principle broke me open in recovery. In addiction, everything is reaction. In gardening, nothing is. You stand back. You watch. You listen. You learn the land before you touch it, the way therapy teaches you to learn your patterns before you try to correct them. You don’t bulldoze reality; you work with what is living there, even the inconvenient parts.
I didn’t heal because I became someone different — I healed because I finally stopped acting before observing.
And that's where year one truly began to take root. Not in the moment I stopped drinking — but in the moment I stopped running from what was left behind after the drinking stopped.
What cut the deepest in that first year was not strangers doubting me — it was someone I loved telling me I was wrong for making recovery central to my life. I poured a year of sobriety, money, energy, study, design, and purpose into Wiccan Recovenry because it is the reason I stayed alive. I built something that kept me sober, and she made me feel like it was embarrassing, obsessive, or inappropriate to let recovery shape my identity. That kind of judgment from someone inside the circle lands differently — it teaches you that sometimes the betrayal isn’t someone leaving, it’s someone making you feel foolish for surviving the way you had to.
PART II — The Middle Ground
The middle of recovery is the part no one glamorizes — that long stretch after the crisis has passed but before anything feels rewarding. The season where you are sober, functional, breathing — but not yet convinced you want this version of life forever. It's like the slow months after planting, when the garden looks like nothing but dirt. You’ve done the work, but nothing is blooming yet. That is the psychological drought of year one.
Therapy in that middle ground mirrored the garden work exactly: unglamorous, repetitive, uncomfortable truths. I was learning that you cannot treat a life like a lawn — constantly mowing symptoms instead of rebuilding the soil beneath. Addiction is a soil problem, not a weed problem. My therapist would ask, “What was drinking protecting you from feeling?” That question worked like a spade. Every answer was a root.
Permaculture teaches: The problem is the solution. That line could be etched into my spine. My urgency, my grief, my loneliness, my panic — none of it was evidence I was broken; it was evidence of exactly where the work was needed. In nature, damaged land is where the most medicinal plants tend to grow first. My sobriety garden wasn’t metaphorical; it was anatomical.
And then there was the relationship — the place where I expected the least healing and ended up getting one of the most unexpected lessons. When we finally separated campers, I thought it meant failure. In every old pattern I had, distance meant disconnection, abandonment, loss. I braced for collapse.
What I didn’t expect was that space could be medicinal.
Separate campers created the equivalent of a buffer zone in ecology — the area that prevents two ecosystems from suffocating or invading one another. For the first time, I had room to hear my own thinking without his reactions in the air. And surprisingly, he changed too — not because I begged or bled for it, but because I stopped choking the soil around us. Sometimes relationships don’t need intensity — they need oxygen.
He's been trying more lately, and not in performative ways. The fact that he helped me plant the elderberry bush didn’t feel like a grand gesture or a fix — it felt like quiet participation in the life I am building now. Not rescuing me. Not leading me. Just showing up beside me on the days it matters. He has become a soft anchor — not a cage, not a storm. Space let that become possible.
Recovery taught me this: some people cannot love you when you are on fire, but they can love you once you stop burning yourself down.
The middle of healing is not warm. It's not romantic. It's restraint, composting, relearning, waiting. But the work done in the invisible months is the work that makes anything living possible later. The garden looked empty while the roots were claiming their place — and that is exactly what sobriety was doing in me.
PART III — The Aftermath
Now I sit here at the one year mark, and here's the truth no one tells you: year one is not a finish line — it’s a germination. You don’t come out of the first year crowned or enlightened; you come out with tools, systems, roots, and a future you no longer assume you will destroy.
My life today is not dramatic — it's designed. Everything I do now is something I will thank myself for later: the assignments for school, the clover that will stabilize the bed before planting, the elderberries that will feed birds and bees and medicine jars, the therapy worksheets and certifications, the recovery notes, the sober nights that stack into a nervous system that finally believes it is safe.
I used to think healing would make me unrecognizable. Instead, it made me accurate.
I am not a “new person”; I am the person who was buried underneath the coping. And the clearest proof is in what I have started building outside of my body: WBWStudio, and the recovery rooms I open for other people. I didn't build those businesses and spaces because I'm healed — I built them because healing made room where destruction used to live. I've got a surplus now — of clarity, of empathy, of structure — and surplus is what allows you to create for others.
WBWStudio is not just a shop — it's evidence. Every piece I make is something sober hands made on a day I could have disappeared. My blog, my curriculum, my appointments, my coursework — all of it is the opposite of the woman who woke up bruised and blank. It's proof of continuity. It's proof of return.
And the recovery Zoom rooms — the ones I open and host — are the part of my healing that is fruit-bearing. When you have lived through erasure, you build spaces where others are not invisible. When you have lived through neglect, you create rooms where people are witnessed. And when betrayal comes - when someone you built beside suddenly calls the very thing that saved you "wrong" - you learn another truth: that the room was not proof of them, it was proof of me. When you have lived without anchors, you choose to be one.
Plants don’t bloom for themselves — their beauty is always witnessed outward. Recovery is the same. You don’t get sober for applause, but the bloom is always public: your work changes, your relationships change, your tone changes, your future changes, and people around you feel it even if they don’t name it.
Next week I will walk outside and see yarrow plants where there used to be emptiness and a couple fruit trees. In a year, I will see elderberries, ferns, bee-balms, and tulips where there used to be nothing but the echo of my own crisis. This is how I mark my sobriety — not with a coin, not with a cake — but with something alive that will still be here when I am in year two, year five, year ten.
I didn't rise because life got easier. I rose because I planted even when nothing looked worth planting.
My life today is proof of one thing:
you can grow a future out of a scene you once thought you would die in.

