When Boundaries Become Survival
What if I told you that every time you stay silent, every time you swallow your truth, a piece of your soul gets smaller? I know, because I lived that way. I mistook silence for safety, and I thought saying “this is what I need” would make people leave. Instead of protecting myself, I let my spirit be chipped away by words, by treatment, by energy that never honored me. I didn’t know then that boundaries aren’t walls — they’re doorways. And you deserve to choose who gets to walk through yours.
But recovery has taught me something different: boundaries aren’t walls at all. They’re circles. Circles of protection, circles of truth. They’re sacred lines drawn in chalk around my heart and my home — not to keep life out, but to keep my peace in.
My camper is proof of that. It’s not much, some might say too cluttered, too decorated, too mine. But that’s exactly the point. This is the space I created with my hands and my healing. Every painting, every trinket on the wall, every soft corner I’ve filled with light—it is all my circle. And I don’t care if someone complains. I don’t care if someone rolls their eyes. This is my altar. My safe place. My sanctuary. And it’s not up for negotiation.
For years, I betrayed myself to make others comfortable. I smiled when I wanted to scream. I stayed silent when I needed to roar. I let people into my body, my home, my spirit when they had no right to be there. And the cost of that self-abandonment was heavy—addiction, despair, a soul that could not breathe.
Sobriety woke me up. Ten months ago, I began to learn what unconditional love looked like—not from the world, but from a room full of strangers on Zoom who showed me it was okay to say “no.” It was okay to log off. It was okay to choose myself, to protect the fragile bloom of healing growing inside me.
In witchcraft, when we cast a circle, we aren’t building a fortress to trap ourselves in. We are calling in what is sacred, and banishing what would do us harm. Boundaries are no different. Every time I say, “This is my space, you don’t get to enter it,” I am casting a spell. Every time I whisper “no” when someone tries to cross the line, I am invoking protection. Every time I choose myself over chaos, I am practicing magic.
This is not easy work. Boundaries can feel like heartbreak at first. People who fed on your openness will call you cruel when you close the door. They will call you selfish, dramatic, crazy. Let them. Their words cannot pass through your circle unless you invite them in.
And so I return to my camper. My safe place. My circle of protection. I light a candle, whisper a prayer, and remind myself:
I am allowed to be safe.
I am allowed to say no.
I am allowed to build walls that are not prisons, but temples.
My boundaries are not up for debate. They are my magic, my medicine, my healing.
And if you are reading this, wondering if you too are allowed to claim your space, let me say this clearly: yes. Draw the line. Salt your doorways. Speak your no’s as incantations. Choose yourself again and again until it feels like breathing.
Because healing requires boundaries. Recovery requires boundaries. Love—true, unconditional love—requires boundaries.
And here is the hardest truth: when I finally chose myself, I lost people I thought I could never live without. But I found me. I found the girl who survived everything meant to destroy her. I found the woman who can sit in her camper, light a candle, and know she doesn’t need anyone’s permission to exist. That is the cost of sacred boundaries—and the gift. You will lose what was never real, and you will gain yourself. And when you finally stand inside your circle, whole and unbroken, you will understand: nothing outside of you was ever worth more than the love you promised yourself the day you said, no more.

