I Quit Drinking And All I Got Was This Existential Crisis
The Honest Start
Ten months sober. Everyone claps. 🎉 They say things like “That’s amazing!” “You must feel so good!”“Your life must be incredible now!” And I smile, nod, say thank you.
But here’s the truth: sobriety is not some magical ticket to happiness. It’s not all yoga mats and green juices and endless clarity. It’s a lot of empty Saturdays. It’s sitting in silence wondering who the hell you even are without a drink in your hand. It’s crying on the couch because suddenly you feel everything you’ve been avoiding for years. And sometimes? The quiet is so loud it feels like it might eat you alive.
⸻
WTF Do You Do?
Here’s the part nobody writes about in the glossy recovery pamphlets. You get sober, you enroll in school, you’re “on track.” Everyone thinks you’re killing it. But inside you’re thinking: Now what?
WTF do you do when:
• The weekends feel endless, and being alone is both peaceful and unbearable.
• You’re studying and “building a future” but your present feels hollow.
• You scroll past pictures of everyone else living wild, messy lives, and wonder if you traded chaos for loneliness.
• Recovery meetings are powerful, but sometimes you leave feeling heavier than when you walked in.
This is the “middle” no one warns you about. Not day one, not year five. Just the messy middle where everything feels possible but nothing feels certain.
⸻
The Good Days and the Bad Days
Some days I love the quiet. I drink tea, paint, write, let my husky keep me company, and I think: Yes. This is the life I wanted.
Other days I feel like I’m watching life happen through a glass wall — like everyone else is “out there” living, and I’m stuck in here, rebuilding piece by piece.
Both are true. Both belong to me. That’s recovery.
⸻
The Real Answer: You Keep Going
So what do you do when you’re empty, alone, and lost?
You keep going.
You sit in the discomfort instead of drowning it.
You let yourself be lonely instead of running to the wrong people.
You show up for school, even when your brain says, What’s the point?
You laugh at the absurdity that “normal” life is harder than blackout drinking.
You keep going because every day you stay sober is proof you’re still choosing yourself — even when it hurts, even when it’s boring, even when it’s lonely as hell.
⸻
A Final Note (For Me, and Maybe For You Too)
Being sober doesn’t mean life is instantly better. It means life is real again. Raw, unfiltered, sometimes brutal. But also full of little sparks — the kind that used to get drowned out by the noise.
Some weekends are best spent alone. Not because you’re broken or unwanted, but because you’re finally giving yourself space to grow into the person you’ve been chasing all along.
Ten months in, I don’t have all the answers. Hell, I barely have a map. But I’m here. And maybe — just maybe — that’s the point.

