Friendships in Recovery: What Stays, What Goes and What Grows
No one tells you that getting sober can feel lonelier than drinking ever did. In recovery, friendships don't just shift – they shed, reshape, and sometimes bloom from the unlikeliest places. Here's what I'm learning about friendship on this side of healing.
In early sobriety, I didn't know how to show up for myself, let alone anyone else. I was relearning everything – how to trust, how to set boundaries, how to say no without guilt, and yes without fear. Friendships I thought were solid, started to crack under the pressure of my growth. Some people missed the old version of me, the one who said yes to chaos and stayed silent in her pain. Others just disappeared when I stopped being the one who always picked up the tab – emotionally or literally. It hurt like hell, but it also made space for something better.
What's taking root now feels quieter, but stronger. It's the kind of friendships where we check in just because. Where honesty isn't punished, and silence isn't mistaken for distance. I've started meeting people who don't need me to be "on" all the time – who understand that sometimes healing looks like space, or crying on zoom, or laughing at something dark because it's how we survive. These aren't the loud, performative friendships I used to chase. They're slower, safer, and rooted in truth – and for once, I'm not afraid for them to leave when I show them the raw, unfiltered me.
But even as these better connection show up, letting them in hasn't been easy. My nervous system still flinches at kindness sometimes. I catch myself waiting for the other shoe to drop – for them to get tired of me, to see too much, to leave like the others did. I had to fight the urge to sabotage or shut down, just because vulnerability still feels like a threat. Trust doesn't come naturally yet. I am learning, slowly, that not everyone wants something from me. That some people really can hold space without needing me to shrink or earn it. But damn, it's a process.
I'm still learning how to be a friend in recovery – how to receive love without suspicion, how to offer it without losing myself. It's not perfect, and neither am I. But there's beauty in that imperfection. I'm no longer chasing people who don't see me. I'm starting to attract - and more importantly, accept - friendships that are more grounded, reciprocal, and real. Recovery didn't just save my life; it's teaching me how to belong. Not just to others, but to myself.

